What is Career Coaching?
Career coaching helps you focus on your current career situation, think about what you want from your career in the future and plan how to get there.
Working with a career coach will help you focus on your motivations and skills, explore the job market and options open to you and plan how to achieve a long-term satisfying career pathway and your career goals.
Career coaches use skills and motivational exercises, psychometrics and other diagnostic tools to help you understand what motivates you and what makes you get up and go to work. The overall aim is to ensure that you are in a career that is sustainable in the long-term and truly fulfilling.
Why do I need a career coach?
- Perhaps you are in career that you just happened to fall into but is not necessarily what you wanted to do. A career coach can help you look objectively at other realistic options and help you plan how to get there
- You may have identified a career that you really want, but have no idea know how to get into it. A career coach can help you shift the direction of your career and land your dream position in an industry you are passionate about.
- You may have been affected by the current Covid 19 pandemic and down turn in the economy, been made redundant or are facing redundancy. If you were in a sector that has been particularly hard hit such as hospitality, events, retail, or airlines, now could be the ideal time to pivot and change to a new career. Career coaching could really help you reset your career path.
What a career coach is not.
A career coach is not a therapist. A career coach helps you find your career path and not deal with personal issues in your past that impact your career and working life. They can help you plan your future, help you identify your skills and passions and show you how to get into certain career pathways.
As with all coaching you have to be open to and willing to be coached, be open to new ideas, willing to make changes and ready to take action. You will get the best results when you are ready to take action.
What can a career coach do for me?
Coaches help you unlock your potential by asking the right questions to help you move forward in a new direction.
Working with a career coach will help you focus on moving forward and help to hold you accountable to the goals you set jointly.
A career coach is objective and will see things differently from you and give you new ideas and a different perspective.
How do career coaches work?
- They challenge and inspire you to think fundamentally about what matters most to you in your career.
- They support you to make difficult decisions, and help you unblock obstacles that hinder your progress.
- They give you honest, professional and sometimes difficult feedback holding you accountable to the goals that you set together.
When does career coaching work best?
Career coaching works best when you are committed to change, open to new ways of doing things and prepared to take risks.
Coaching may be harder than you first thought; you need to be prepared to work at it, be committed to move forward and put the work in to get the best results.